Thursday, August 16, 2012

Love it a little less.

Oh Birchbox.  You can't just lure me in with a fab box in July and then give me a not-so-fab box in August.  It's not really fair and it makes me question our relationship.

But not so much that I'm super excited for the next box to come.

So as you've probably guessed, I got my August Birchbox and I was a little less than thrilled.  Not that it didn't have good products in it, because it did, but because they are products I will probably hardly ever use.

The theme this month was "Beauty School" and was meant to "refill your beauty supply kit with must-try essentials and new products that will take you through the fall" (from Birchbox's website).  Cute idea but not really well executed in my opinion.



The only thing really "school like" about this box was the fold out (shown above) with some beauty tips and tricks, and a card encouraging me to shop in their online store so some of the profits could go to Pencils for Promise (an organization that builds schools for underprivileged children in other countries).  

Other than that, it was five products total which was two less than last month's box. Not that I'm greedy.  I just appreciate consistency.



So I had:

1. Shick Hydro Silk Razor

Probably the second best thing in the box.  I hate buying razor blades, (I'm known to buy a new razor because they're cheaper than the blades) so I was super happy when I saw this.  It has five blades with skin guards and moisture bars, so I'm thinking it will give a pretty close shave.  Once again, the Birchbox finds came through.  (Last month it was the earbuds.)

2. Miss Jessie's Original Quick Curls

Friggin' gold in a bottle.  This stuff was by far the best product in the box and I died of happiness when I used it.  I know in this review I said the Bumble and Bumble cream was liquid gold, but Miss Jessie snuffed that candle out.  Although the B&B keeps away the frizz really well, I have never seen my hair as curly as it looked with this stuff in it.  It your curls in place with just enough hold so that they're still soft, but they won't frizz up.  I hate crunchy curls, so I was super happy with this product.  So happy, that I think I'm going to use my 220 Birchbox points to buy a full size bottle.  Well played Birchbox.  Well played.

3. Beauty Fixation Makeup Remover Q-tips


These are the q-tips that have the little snap off top so the makeup remover can flow down into the other side and are ready to use.  I've seen/used this type of product before but honestly, I don't ever use makeup remover.  I'm a face wash and water type of gal, so I don't really have a need for these.  However, they would be great for travel or to keep in your purse for emergencies so I'll definitely hang onto them.

4. Juicy Couture Viva la Juicy- La Fleur perfume sample

This perfume was soooo not for me.  I have two different perfumes I switch between and that is it.  They are simple, light fragrances and I have been wearing them for years.  This stuff was too strong for my tastes and I will probably be giving it to my sister who wears Ed Hardy perfume.  Kind of a bummer.

5. Pixi Beauty Lid Last Shadow Pen- Bronze Brillance

I wanted to like this product so much since the idea behind it is so great, but the color is just so wrong for my skin tone.  The pencil goes on like a liner but then dries into a powder and is smudge proof.  Really good idea because my eye shadow tends to fade off after a full day of work.  However, I was super upset about the color they sent me.  It's hard to tell from this picture but it's a dark bronze, which makes me look like a lady of the evening.  I went online to look at the other colors and literally every other color would have been more flattering, but hey, I can't blame them for a bad color choice since they don't know how pale I am.  I'm just sad they sent me this one.  Good thing I have an awesome Birch-buddy, (She coined the phrase.  I know.  Brilliant.) and she's going to trade with me from her box.

All in all, I still like getting new products every month and I know not every box will be a complete success.  I just hope next month's box has more stuff I can use and enjoy in the future.

At least this month my hair will be super curly and my legs will be hair free.



*All product pictures from www.birchbox.com

No comments:

Post a Comment