Friday, January 6, 2012

What now?

Since the holiday season is finally over, I felt it was time to take down all of our Christmas decorations last weekend.  I would have loved to keep them up until next year, buuuuut people might think that was weird and it would confuse our two and a half year-old nephew who is already having a hard time letting Christmas go.  (Bless his little sweet face.  He is a child after my own heart.)

I do get a little sad when I have to put the decorations away because we love Christmas so much (especially this year), and our house looks so bare now that everything is gone. We have no day to day decorations.  We moved in during the beginning of October, so the Halloween decorations went up right away.  Naturally, the Christmas stuff came out in November, so we've never actually had non-holiday themed stuff. Luckily, I had some things from our old place and there is Pinterest for everything else so I'm slowly managing to put together some design ideas.  I'm trying to see the emptiness as a clean slate for new things rather than a sad reminder that the holidays are over.
Some of the design elements I love most, are the ones that can be reused over and over again like my glass hurricane vases and apothecary jars.  I have about 5 or 6 of these babies and I love to fill them with whatever tickles my fancy.  (So far that's been Christmas stuff.  Problem.)  Luckily, apothecary jars are very in right now, so Google gave me some good ideas.

(My Romantic Home)
 These are probably my favorite idea.  I already have some moss that I picked up a while back at the craft store and I could definitely find some bird eggs and nests for cheap.

(Pottery Barn)
 I love the jar with the monogram on it, but that will have to wait for another day since the project list is pretty full.  I do like the tall, skinny style of these glasses though.

(Madigan Made)
This is more of a summer look with the sand and the shells, but I liked it because I have some similar woven balls I bought at Ikea that I could use as a filler.

(Pottery Barn)
I really love the idea of filling a jar with soaps or sponges for the bathroom but unfortunately, I couldn't find any soaps that were pretty enough to be displayed so I'm on the hunt for some to use.

I have three jars I'm using on top of a bookcase (for now) and they're not all done, but I like the possibility of the direction they're taking.


The best part is they were all $20 or less at Home Goods.  And please excuse the key canvas in the background.  It's an idea I'm still toying with and I'm not sure how I feel about it.

Some other stuff I've put out are some more balls made of natural materials I picked up, a few neutral candles, and some awesome mercury glass ornaments that I got for Christmas.  (I couldn't put everything away.  Too depressing.)



The house still looks pretty empty but I keep pulling ideas from the web so that we can have a lovely, cozy place to live and plan a wedding in.

Can you tell I'm excited?!

I'll keep you posted of the rest of my projects I'm planning on doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment