Friday, September 30, 2011

Geeking out.

Oh hai guys, guess what?  It's Friday!  And I have never been happier for the weekend-to-almost-be here.  This week has lasted for forever, am I right?  I swear on Tuesday I felt like it should be the end of the week.  But anyway, enough about that stuff, let's move on to the post shall we?

It's time to get your nerd on because today's post is a little different than my past ones.  I don't think I've mentioned it before but I am an avid reader and I really enjoy books. I can finish off a good book in a few days if I have enough time.  So I thought today I would share some of my favorites so you could be nerds with me.  And please don't think that I believe myself to be a literary genius.  I enjoy those trashy novels just like the next gal.  But I will throw in a decent read every now and then to keep the brain going.  And yes, Harry Potter so totally counts as a piece of good literature.

The first book that I love and have read at least 4 times is In the Company of a Courtesan by Sarah Dunant.

{Her site here}
I am a big fan of all of her books but this was the first one that I read and I think I finished it in a half a day.  I couldn't put it down.  I enjoy a good historical novel if the plot line is good and this one kept me interested all the way through.  Who doesn't love a good read about a courtesan and her lovers?  Oooh, saucy.

The next book is by one of my favorite authors ever, Augusten Burroughs.  His books make me pee my pants every time with laughter.  He's best known for the bestseller Running With Scissors but I highly recommend his memoir, Dry.

{His site here}
It's about his recovery from alcoholism and it's both hilarious and heart wrenching at the same time.  Any of his other books are great reads too.

If you're in the mood to laugh though, I recommend Tina Fey's new book, Bossypants. I brought it to read on an airplane and was laughing out loud like a lunatic the whole flight.  So you might want to read this one in the privacy of your home.


The poem to her daughter is the most brilliant thing ever.

The last book that's on my must read list is The Teahouse Fire by Ellis Avery.  It's from a few years back but it's brilliant writing and so fascinating.  It was recommended to me after I read Memoirs of a Geisha when it came out.  I was on a Japanese culture kick.

{ellis avery}
That's just some of what's on my bookcase at the moment.  Next to all trashy novels of course.  However, with the announcement of Amazon's Kindle Fire a few days ago, I may not have actual books on my shelves for much longer.  (Hint hint Santa.  I would like one in my stocking please and thank you.)  Kind of a strange thought, huh?

But not too strange because I really do want the Kindle Fire.  I obvs have my priorities in check.

No comments:

Post a Comment